Our Curriculum Intent
A child’s early and primary years are a time where children progress and grow at a rapid rate. They view the world with awe and wonder, are abound with questions and continually looking for answers. Life should be full of fun, laughter and learning. At St Gregory’s ALL staff aim to develop this exhilarating time and give our children opportunities to flourish by offering an exciting, challenging and empowering curriculum, equipping them for today and tomorrow.
At St Gregory’s CE Primary School our curriculum is designed to…….
- Make learning a positive, engaging, adventurous and active experience
- Enable our children to thrive in a Christian environment, where every child is given opportunities to experience all life has to offer in abundance
“I have come that you may have life….Life in all its fullness.” John 10:10
- Equip our children with skills to enable them to be independent, resilient problem solvers and tenacious in facing next steps
- Encourage curiosity, filling inquiring minds with information, answers and more questions
- Build on prior knowledge / skills, allowing for progression of learning in a cohesive manner
- Promote respect for all, allow for individuality and cultural diversity
- Give children the experience of being part of a valued community
We want to offer all our children a range of rich and memorable learning experiences. Ensuring that all children experience a broad, balanced curriculum, providing rich, meaningful opportunities, which continue to promote and be underpinned by our school vision and values.
We have introduced the Cornerstones Curriculum. This is a creative approach to learning built on the criteria for an outstanding curriculum. It ensures that our children learn in the most creative way and are involved in what they are learning.
Cornerstones is based on the Four Cornerstones of Learning:
These Cornerstones provide a consistent philosophy for learning throughout school.
The Four Cornerstones – Philosophy
The most important underlying principle of a curriculum is to help children learn. We believe that a successful curriculum is brought to life by high quality teaching, inspirational learning activities and opportunities to listen and plan for the developing interests and motivations of children.
That is why the Cornerstones Primary Curriculum is built upon a four stage teaching and learning philosophy…
The Four Cornerstones: ENGAGE – DEVELOP – INNOVATE – EXPRESS
During the Engage stage children will:-
- have memorable first-hand experiences – for example going on a visit outside the classroom or inviting a specialist visitor into the classroom
- have WOW experiences – Investigate and Discover
- be introduced in exciting ways to the new topic or theme
- begin initial research and set enquiry questions
- have lots of opportunity to make observations
- develop spoken language skills
- take part in sensory activities
- have a great deal of fun, allowing them to fully ‘engage’ with their new topic
During the Develop stage children will:-
- dig much deeper to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding of a topic across the curriculum
- practice their newfound skills
- compose, make, do, build, investigate, explore, write for different purposes, read across the curriculum
- research their own questions and those posed by others
- follow new pathways of enquiry based on their own interests
- complete homework activities that support their learning in school
During the Innovate stage children will:-
- apply previous skills, knowledge and understanding in real life contexts
- be challenged with real or imagined problems and situations to solve using knowledge and skills from the earlier stages
- be inspired with imaginative and creative opportunities
- have time to re-visit skills, knowledge and understanding not grasped during the develop stage
- have the opportunity to take on different roles
During the Express stage children will:-
- become the performers, the experts, the informers
- share their achievements with others in many different ways…….parents, class mates and the community
- evaluate finished products/processes
- tie learning back to the beginning
Cornerstones Curriculum is delivered through a range of inspirational yet rigorous learning projects.
These are based on the National Curriculum, but bring learning together in new and exciting ways.
Each project combines different strands of learning so that children learn more holistically and start to challenge themselves and learn problem solving skills as they create truly fantastic learning opportunities.
Reading and writing form an integral element of the approach but it is important to us at St Gregory’s that all children flourish and experience and enjoy a range of learning.
Learning is a journey and we strive to provide opportunities which will enable our children to enter into society with the necessary skills, experiences and responsibilities for later life.
- develops children to the best of their abilities
- helps children to find their passions and interests
- facilitates children’s acquisition of knowledge, skills and understanding
- helps children to develop intellectually, emotionally, socially, physically and morally
- assists children in becoming independent, responsible, useful, confident and considerate members of the community
- promotes a positive attitude towards learning, so children enjoy coming to school
- helps children to acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning
- creates and maintains an exciting and stimulating learning environment
- ensures that each child’s education has continuity and progression
- enables children to contribute positively within a culturally diverse society.
Please open the following links to see our curriculum coverage and information about individuals areas of learning.